Located between Duke University’s East and West Campuses, Durham’s Ninth Street District is a part of Durham with a college feel. The Herald-Sun referred to Durham’s Ninth Street District as “Durham’s Greenwich Village.” The Ninth Street District is a friendly, colorful area with plenty of great places to dine and shop.
Enjoy free two-hour parking along Ninth and surrounding streets. Park as long as you like for $1 an hour in the City of Durham parking lot on the North Side of Ninth Street. Parking in this lot is free on weekends and after 7:00 pm on weeknights. Ninth Street offers pedestrian-friendly sidewalks and crosswalks and is also accessible by bike or bus. The Bull City Connector (which runs from Duke’s campus to Downtown Durham’s Golden Belt) has eastbound and westbound stops on Ninth Street.
Ninth Street District Durham Restaurants Include:
- Alpaca Peruvian Charcoal Chicken (703 a Ninth Street)
- Blu Seafood and Bar (2002 Hillsborough Road)
- Burger Bach (737 Ninth Street, #220 The Shops at Erwin Mills)
- Elmo’s Diner (776 Ninth Street)
- Juju (737 Ninth Street, #210 The Shops at Erwin Mills)
- Mad Hatter Bakeshop and Cafe (1802 W. Main Street)
- Monuts (1002 Ninth Street)
- The Tavern (1900 W. Markham Avenue)
- Vin Rouge French Cafe and Wine Bar (2010 Hillsborough Road)
Ninth Street District Durham Shops Include:
- Atelier N Fine Jewelry (1914 Perry Street)
- Books Do Furnish a Room (1809 W. Markham Street)
- HappyMess Art Studio (718 Iredell Street)
- The Regulator Bookshop (720 Ninth Street)
- Vaguely Reminiscent (728 Ninth Street)
- Vintage Home South (764 1-B Ninth Street)
Durham’s Ninth Street District also is home to the Bull City Escape (711 Iredell Street) which offers an exhilarating, interactive experience designed to test your wits. The premise is simple: small groups are locked in a room and have 60 minutes to find the key to escape. Unearth clues, solve puzzles, and crack codes to find the key!
Durham’s Ninth Street District’s early days go back to textiles and tobacco. Today, its modern amenities and independent businesses create a vibrant culture. Morehead Manor Bed and Breakfast is conveniently close to Durham’s Ninth Street District (see the Google map below).