The American Tobacco Trail (ATT) is a 22.2-mile long Rails-to-Trails project running along an old abandoned railroad bed originally built for the American Tobacco Company in the 1970s. The ATT is open to pedestrians, cyclists, equestrians (in non-urban settings), and other non-motorized users. An 11.4-mile paved section in Durham County (on the North End of the trail) stops at the Durham Bulls Athletic Park at Morehead Avenue and Blackwell Street (which is within walking distance of Morehead Manor).
Whether you are biking, hiking, in-line skating, walking, or running, you need to travel Durham’s terrific Tobacco Trail. This wheel-chair accessible trail (with either asphalt or smooth crushed stone surfaces) goes through three North Carolina counties: Chatham, Durham, and Wake.
The terrific tobacco trail (used by people of all ages and abilities) courses through beautiful pines, and its rural sections boast plentiful wildlife, including beavers, deer, hawks, herons, owls, songbirds, and turtles. While hunters use the southern portions to access wildlife areas, they are not permitted to carry loaded firearms on the trail.
This trail is terrific for any of the following Morehead Manor guests:
- Romantic couples (to hold hands and enjoy the scenery as you go)
- Girlfriend getaways (to bond as sisters while you move along the trail)
- Business travelers (to take a break from work and enjoy the outdoors)
- Family reunions (great for all ages and abilities)
- plus many more reasons!
The benefits of outdoor exercise include:
- Can be adapted to anyone’s level of fitness (it’s always wise to consult with your doctor before exercising)
- Free daily dose of Vitamin D from the sunlight
- Opportunity to be physically active in a constantly changing environment
- Increased energy and decreased tension
- On average, outdoor exercisers report more enjoyment and are more likely to do that again
- May make you feel better about yourself (e.g. improved fitness, less weight, and more strength)
- Consistent physical exercise may help you live longer
Practical outdoor exercising tips:
- Use sunscreen (even on cloudy days)
- Stay hydrated (drink plenty of water since you lose water as you sweat)
- Have supportive footwear (if applicable)
- Wear waterproof, breathable clothing (dress comfortably)
- Pace yourself (with athletic activities)
Morehead Manor Bed and Breakfast in Durham, North Carolina is proud to be ranked the #1 black-owned bed and breakfast in America (according to Black Enterprise magazine). We host guests from all over the world and whether you are from North Carolina, reside elsewhere in the United States, or live abroad, we welcome you as guests to our historic mansion.